Learning in Retirement
If you’re a senior with passion for lifelong learning, you’ve come to the right place!
WCTC is proud to host Learning in Retirement of Waukesha County (LIR). LIR is an affiliate of the Road Scholar Lifelong Learning Institute, an international organization that provides programs for ongoing learning. LIR members can take advantage of events, special interest groups and courses in music, art, literature, computers, history, financial planning and more.
Learning in Retirement Opportunities
LIR courses are held during the day at WCTC’s Pewaukee and Waukesha campuses and other facilities in the area. Offerings include:
- Short-term courses, one to six weeks in length, on topics including art, music, religion, computers, history, aging, financial planning and more. Most courses cost just $10 or less, and there are no pre-requisites, no exams and no grades!
- Day-long and overnight chartered bus trips to museums, art exhibits, theater performances and other special events throughout the year.
- Distinguished speakers on a variety of topics.
- Groups for special interests including books, genealogy, hiking, singing, golf, Bridge, Sheepshead, theater and creative crafters.
- Access to the WCTC library, computer labs, Style & Class Salon, Dental Hygiene Clinic, Classic Room and Classic Bistro.
Membership is open to any adult who is retired, semi-retired or working with a flexible schedule. An annual fee of $50 entitles members to low-cost courses, special events and special interest groups.
Become a Member
To become a member, fill out the Learning in Retirement Registration Form. Mail this form and your check to:
Waukesha County Technical College
LIR, Room 101G
327 E. Broadway St.
Waukesha, WI 53186
The fall 2018 semester classes are filling up fast, but there are still many intriguing courses open. You can sign up as late as the day before class begins. Since some start in October or November, there is still time to register. However, we recommend you call the LIR Office at 262.695.3473 to check which classes still have space available before sending in your registration form.
Also, watch for flyers with information on upcoming special event trips. Next trips include:
- October 18: Majestic Theater, A Star is Born
- October 23: Safety Presentation at the WCTC Firing Range (limited to 40 LIR members only)
- November 7: Chicago Ethnic Tour
LIR Board Members and Committee Chairpersons
President – Debbie Nicely
Vice President – Claire Fowler
Secretary – Barbara Nagy
Treasurer – Matt Corby
Past President – Chuck Gevaert
Membership – Mary Alice White
Promotions Chair – Christian Nagy
Delegates at Large – Don Lamb, Sharon Bashaw
Special Events – Nancy Langlas and Karen Cotter
Curriculum Co-Chair –Winnie Mading
WCTC Staff Liaison – Timothy Holloway