Learning in Retirement
If you’re a senior with passion for lifelong learning, you’ve come to the right place!
WCTC is proud to host Learning in Retirement of Waukesha County (LIR). LIR is an affiliate of the Road Scholar Lifelong Learning Institute, an international organization that provides programs for ongoing learning. LIR members can take advantage of events, special interest groups and courses in music, art, literature, computers, history, financial planning and more.
Learning in Retirement Opportunities
LIR courses are held during the day at WCTC’s Pewaukee and Waukesha campuses and other facilities in the area. Offerings include:
- Short-term courses, one to six weeks in length, on topics including art, music, religion, computers, history, aging, financial planning and more. Most courses cost just $10 or less, and there are no pre-requisites, no exams and no grades!
- Day-long and overnight chartered bus trips to museums, art exhibits, theater performances and other special events throughout the year.
- Distinguished speakers on a variety of topics.
- Groups for special interests including books, genealogy, hiking, singing, golf, Bridge, Sheepshead, theater and creative crafters.
- Access to the WCTC library, computer labs, Style & Class Salon and Spa, Dental Hygiene Clinic, Classic Room and Classic Bistro.
Membership is open to any adult who is retired, semi-retired or working with a flexible schedule. An annual fee of $50 entitles members to low-cost courses, special events and special interest groups.
Become a Member
To become a member, fill out the Learning in Retirement Registration Form. Mail this form and your check to:
Waukesha County Technical College
LIR, Room 101G
327 E. Broadway St.
Waukesha, WI 53186
It seems we no longer start the spring semester classes than we ask the instructors to begin preparations for the fall semester! We sent a current 2019 Fall Blank Proposal Form to all potential instructors and have posted a copy here for download. All proposals for fall classes are due in the LIR office by April 15, 2019. Think about your life experiences, hobbies and talents you can share with the members. You do not need to be a past teacher or public speaker to present a course. We recently had a member ask if someone would be willing to hold a class to "Learn the Game of Football." What a fun course that could be. Lust us know if you are interested in teaching the fundamentals of football to a group of our members.
Watch for future flyers in the mail for the following upcoming 2019 events:
- March 21: Kenosha Civil War Museum
- April 3: Drury Lane "Mama Mia"
- April 4: Majestic THeater "Dumbo"
- April 26: Eleanor Roosevelt First Lady of the World
- April 30: Baraboo Circus World Museum
LIR Board Members and Committee Chairpersons
President – Debbie Nicely
Vice President – Claire Fowler
Secretary – Barbara Nagy
Treasurer – Matt Corby
Past President – Chuck Gevaert
Membership – Mary Alice White
Promotions Chair – Christian Nagy
Delegates at Large – Don Lamb, Sharon Bashaw
Special Events – Nancy Langlas and Karen Cotter
Curriculum Co-Chair –Winnie Mading
WCTC Staff Liaison – Timothy Holloway