Learning in Retirement
If you’re a senior with passion for lifelong learning, you’ve come to the right place!
WCTC is proud to host Learning in Retirement of Waukesha County (LIR). LIR is an affiliate of the Road Scholar Lifelong Learning Institute, an international organization that provides programs for ongoing learning. LIR members can take advantage of events, special interest groups and courses in music, art, literature, computers, history, financial planning and more.
Learning in Retirement Opportunities
LIR courses are held during the day at WCTC’s Pewaukee and Waukesha campuses and other facilities in the area. Offerings include:
- Short-term courses, one to six weeks in length, on topics including art, music, religion, computers, history, aging, financial planning and more. Most courses cost just $10 or less, and there are no pre-requisites, no exams and no grades!
- Day-long and overnight chartered bus trips to museums, art exhibits, theater performances and other special events throughout the year.
- Distinguished speakers on a variety of topics.
- Groups for special interests including books, genealogy, hiking, singing, golf, Bridge, Sheepshead, theater and creative crafters.
- Access to the WCTC library, computer labs, Style & Class Salon and Spa, Dental Hygiene Clinic, Classic Room and Classic Bistro.
Membership is open to any adult who is retired, semi-retired or working with a flexible schedule. An annual fee of $50 entitles members to low-cost courses, special events and special interest groups.
Become a Member
To become a member, fill out the Learning in Retirement Registration Form. Mail this form and your check to:
Waukesha County Technical College
LIR, Room 101G
327 E. Broadway St.
Waukesha, WI 53186
WCTC sent a letter regarding the cancellation of its personal enrichment classes effective January 1, 2020. This letter was sent to students who have taken these courses in the last three years. This does not refer to LIR and its classes. Only WCTC personal enrichment classes such as upholstery, sewing, cooking, etc. are affected. Learn more.
Even though the spring semester is coming to a close, there are still Special Interest Groups (SIGs), special event trips and other LIR events that meet during summer. We will be issueing our 2019 Fall Catalog in mid-July, so watch for it in the mail. Join us at the annual Kick-off Meeting on July 25, 2019, where you can meet the new board and committee members, register for fall classes and enter to win a free membership!
Watch for future flyers in the mail for the following upcoming 2019 events for LIR members:
- June 28: Annual Meeting
- July 25: Kick-off Meeting - open to the public
- September 20: Cantigny Gardens
LIR Board Members and Committee Chairpersons
President – Debbie Nicely
Vice President – Claire Fowler
Secretary – Barbara Nagy
Treasurer – Matt Corby
Past President – Chuck Gevaert
Membership – Mary Alice White
Promotions Chair – Christian Nagy
Delegates at Large – Don Lamb, Sharon Bashaw
Special Events – Nancy Langlas and Karen Cotter
Curriculum Co-Chair –Winnie Mading
WCTC Staff Liaison – Timothy Holloway