IT - Database Specialist
63-credit Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Code 10-156-2
Learn how to support the data needs of small to medium businesses. Gain skills to plan, develop and maintain new and existing databases. Become proficient in SQL development, reporting and data visualization, database design and data modeling. Gain an introduction to tabular models, data analysis, data analytics and big data.
How Long It Will Take
Depending on course load, full-time students could complete this program in two years.
You can begin this program in the fall or spring semester.
How This Program Is Offered
This is offered on campus in a traditional classroom/lab setting.
What Makes This Program Unique
- Leverage current industry-standard tools including Microsoft SQL and Server, the Microsoft BI stack (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS), Tableau and Power BI.
- Learn the basics of programming in C# and Python.
- Participate in a capstone project to develop data-driven applications for stakeholders on campus.
- Gain prerequisite knowledge for several Microsoft certification exams.
- The BIT Connections Club allows members to expand IT skills through service learning projects, emerging technology exploration, aspects of global business technology, professional development and travel opportunities.
For the courses you’ll take, semester sequence, pathways and course descriptions, view the program catalog page.
You may have the opportunity to obtain credit for the college-level skills and knowledge you've already acquired. Learn more about credit for prior learning.
How To Apply
- Apply online and pay the $30 application fee.
- Submit official high school transcript.
- Complete placement assessment.
- Complete Computer Skills Assessment.
Deadlines To Know*
Fall 2020 Start
- Submit application by August 3, 2020
- Complete checklist items by August 10, 2020
Spring 2021 Start
- Submit application by January 5, 2021
- Complete checklist items by January 11, 2021
* Application deadlines are subject to change based on program demand.
Financial Aid Eligibility
As a program student, you are eligible to receive:
- Financial aid loans
- Other forms of assistance
Learn more about financial aid.
The cost of your degree depends on a number of factors, including where you live, how your program is delivered, how long it takes to finish your program and the financial aid you receive.
Learn more about tuition and fees.
$70,000 – $100,000+ annually
Salary range estimates based on wages for related occupations in Waukesha County as reported by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). Individual wages may vary based on experience, industry, location and specific job requirements.
Check the WCTC Graduate Success Report to view our graduates’ entry wages.
If you are a patient, critical thinker and have strong analytical and reasoning skills, a job as a database specialist might be right for you. Those who work in these roles are dependable and adaptable, and they have a willingness to learn new technologies to stay current and advance in their careers.
- Database Administrator
- Database Analyst
- Data Architect
- Database Designer
Whether you're a high school student interested in earning college credits or a college student interested in transferring to a four-year university after graduation, our dual-enrollment and transfer-credit agreements will help you take the next step in your education and career.
High School Dual Credits
Dual enrollment offers high school juniors and seniors an opportunity to get a head start in high-demand fields through earning college credits. Learn about the credit options.
Transfer Opportunities After WCTC
WCTC has credit transfer agreements with many four-year institutions that allow our degree graduates to transfer credits into a baccalaureate program, often at junior-level standing.
|College||Program Name||Credit Awards|
|Cardinal Stritch||Any Bachelor Degree in the College of Business and Management||60+|
|Colorado State University-Global Campus||Any Bachelors Degree||up to 64, 10% tuition discount|
|Concordia University - Wisconsin||Any Bachelors||Up to 84|
|Franklin University||Any Bachelors Degree||Junior Standing|
|Grand Canyon University||Any Bachelors||10% tuition discount|
|Lakeland University||Any Bachelors Degree||Junior Standing|
|Mount Mary University||Bachelor Degree||Junior Standing|
|Ottawa University||Bachelor of Arts or Sciences||up to 80, and 35%+ tuition discount for WCTC grads|
|Purdue Global||Any Bachelors||credits vary, 20% tuition discount|
|UW-Green Bay||Organizational Leadership - Bachelor of Applied Studies||Block of 60 credits|
|UW-Stout||BS Management (100% online)||up to 60|
|UW-Stout||BS Career, Technical Education & Training (100% online)||up to 60|
|UW-Stout||BS Information and Communication Technologies||up to 60|
|Wisconsin Lutheran College||BS Business Management and Leadership||50-70|
- Contact the school to which you'd like to transfer to make sure you understand its transfer policy.
- Talk to your WCTC program advisor about your intent to transfer so he/she can help you plan.
- If you're transferring within the University of Wisconsin (UW) System, contact your desired institution about its transfer policy and visit the UW System's transfer resource page.