Early Childhood Education
60-credit Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Code 10-307-1
Learning that happens in early childhood settings provides children with a strong educational foundation. In this program, gain an understanding of the principles of early childhood education and learn to facilitate young children’s learning and development through class work and practical experience. Explore child development, child behavior, developmentally appropriate practices and strategies for working with parents.
How Long It Will Take
Depending on course load, full-time students could complete this program in two years.
You can begin the traditional track in the fall or spring semester. You can begin the Blended Options track only in the fall semester.
How This Program Is Offered
The traditional track is offered on campus in a classroom/lab setting.
The Blended Options track is offered in an accelerated format. The Blended Options courses are organized into manageable eight-week segments that meet during evening hours and online.
What Makes This Program Unique
- This program is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), which is the gold standard in national accrediting bodies for early care and education facilities.
- Strengthen classroom concepts through hands-on practice in our nationally-accredited Child Development Center and Early Learning Lab.
- Involvement in the Education Club enhances your learning while developing leadership and service skills.
- This program is offered in a Blended Options (as well as traditional) format to allow early childhood professionals working in the industry to maximize their professional experience and accelerate their completion of the program.
- Traditional track students can take advantage of academic support for reading and writing embedded in their classes.
For the courses you’ll take, semester sequence, pathways and course descriptions, view the program catalog page. Please note, a physical examination and caregiver background check is required prior to a field placement internship course.
You may have the opportunity to obtain credit for the college-level skills and knowledge you've already acquired. Learn more about credit for prior learning.
How To Apply
- Apply online and pay the $30 application fee.
- Submit official high school transcript.
- Complete placement assessment.
Deadlines To Know*
Fall 2021 Start (Traditional and Blended track)
- Submit application by August 2, 2021
- Complete checklist items by August 9, 2021
Spring 2021 Start (Traditional track only)
- Submit application by January 5, 2021
- Complete checklist items by January 11, 2021
Summer 2021 Start
- This program cannot be started in summer.
* Application deadlines are subject to change based on program demand.
Financial Aid Eligibility
As a program student, you are eligible to receive:
- Financial aid loans
- Other forms of assistance
Learn more about financial aid.
The cost of your degree depends on a number of factors. Learn more about tuition and fees.
- Fingerprint/background check (required every five years): $39
- Caregiver background check (required annually): $10
- Program iPad (Blended Options track only): $399 - must be purchased through WCTC’s Bookstore
- Health examination including TB skin test: cost varies
$22,000 – $30,000 annually
Salary range estimates based on wages for related occupations in Waukesha County as reported by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). Individual wages may vary based on experience, industry, location and specific job requirements.
Check the WCTC Graduate Success Report to view our graduates’ entry wages.
Spending time with young children and nurturing their love of learning is the reward for those who work in early childhood education. If you are patient, compassionate and enjoy working with infants and children from birth through 8 years, and their parents, a career in early childhood education may be right for you.
- Early Childhood Educator
- Preschool Teacher
- Early Childhood Education Assistant
- Child Care Teacher