Diesel Equipment Technology
60-credit Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Code 10-412-1
As the commercial truck driving industry has experienced growth, so has the need for trained technicians to service and repair heavy-duty equipment and vehicles. In this program, receive training in diesel engines, suspension and steering, electronics, drive train, hydraulics, brakes and preventive maintenance, heavy equipment welding, heavy equipment fuel systems, as well as HVAC and refrigeration systems.
How Long It Will Take
Depending on course load, full-time students could complete this program in two years.
You can begin this program in the fall semester.
How This Program Is Offered
This is offered on campus in a traditional classroom/lab setting.
What Makes This Program Unique
- Benefit from hands-on learning in real-world settings through technical internship experiences.
- Gain experience working on Freightliner, Peterbilt, Kenworth and Volvo tractors.
- Analyze comprehensive, live data.
- An option exists to earn your CDL - and test drive the vehicles on which you have worked.
- WCTC supplies all tools for this program.
For the courses you’ll take, semester sequence, pathways and course descriptions, view the program catalog page.
You may have the opportunity to obtain credit for the college-level skills and knowledge you've already acquired. Learn more about credit for prior learning.
How To Apply
- Apply online at no cost! Enter our APPLYFREE promo code.*
- Submit official high school transcript.
- Complete placement assessment.
* The promo code is not valid for refund on a previously submitted app fee.
Deadlines To Know*
Fall 2021 Start
- Submit application by August 2, 2021
- Complete checklist items by August 9, 2021
Spring 2021 Start
- This program cannot be started in spring.
Summer 2021 Start
- This program cannot be started in summer.
* Application deadlines are subject to change based on program demand.
Financial Aid Eligibility
As a program student, you are eligible to receive:
- Financial aid loans
- Other forms of assistance
Learn more about financial aid.
The cost of your degree depends on a number of factors, including where you live, how your program is delivered, how long it takes to finish your program and the financial aid you receive.
Learn more about tuition and fees.
$33,000 – $57,000 annually
Salary range estimates based on wages for related occupations in Waukesha County as reported by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). Individual wages may vary based on experience, industry, location and specific job requirements.
Check the WCTC Graduate Success Report to view our graduates’ entry wages.
If you’re interested in working as a mechanic in the truck driving industry, a job as a diesel equipment technician might be for you. Those in this field must have patience, be able to think on their feet, and possess analytical, mathematical and electronic skills.
- Diesel Equipment Mechanic
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Service Department Assistant
- Service Technician
Whether you're a high school student interested in earning college credits or a college student interested in transferring to a four-year university after graduation, our dual-enrollment and transfer-credit agreements will help you take the next step in your education and career.
High School Dual Credits
Dual enrollment offers high school juniors and seniors an opportunity to get a head start in high-demand fields through earning college credits. Learn about the credit options.
Transfer Opportunities After WCTC
WCTC has credit transfer agreements with many four-year institutions that allow our degree graduates to transfer credits into a baccalaureate program, often at junior-level standing.
|College||Program Name||Credit Awards|
|Colorado State University-Global Campus||Any Bachelors Degree||up to 64, 10% tuition discount|
|Franklin University||Any Bachelors Degree||Junior Standing|
|Grand Canyon University||Any Bachelors||10% tuition discount|
|Lakeland University||Any Bachelors Degree||Junior Standing|
|Mount Mary University||Bachelor Degree||Junior Standing|
|MSOE||Bachelor of Business Admin||Junior Standing|
|MSOE||BBA Technical Sales||Junior Standing|
|Ottawa University||Bachelor of Arts or Sciences||up to 80, and 35%+ tuition discount for WCTC grads|
|Purdue Global||Any Bachelors||credits vary, 20% tuition discount|
|UW-Green Bay||Organizational Leadership - Bachelor of Applied Studies||Block of 60 credits|
|Wisconsin Lutheran College||BS Business Management and Leadership||50-70|
- Contact the school to which you'd like to transfer to make sure you understand its transfer policy.
- Talk to your WCTC program advisor about your intent to transfer so he/she can help you plan.
- If you're transferring within the University of Wisconsin (UW) System, contact your desired institution about its transfer policy and visit the UW System's transfer resource page.