39-credit Technical Diploma
Program Code 31-502-1
Those working in cosmetology have a taste for style, helping clients enhance their experience and look their best. Combine theory with practice to study haircutting, styling, color, perm waving, chemical relaxing, and learn about nail and skin care. Learn business aspects of working in a salon, including professional and personal development, communication and Wisconsin law.
How Long It Will Take
This program is 1,550 hours and is offered in both part-time and full-time sequences. Depending on course load, full-time students could complete this program in one year. Part-time students can complete this program in two years.
If full-time student, you can begin this program in the fall or spring semester. If part-time student, you can begin this program in the fall semester.
How This Program Is Offered
This is offered on campus in a traditional classroom/lab setting. Part-time, evening/weekend completion option is available.
What Makes This Program Unique
- WCTC's Style & Class Salon and Spa is a full-service salon that is part of the Cosmetology program. Students learn in this hands-on environment by servicing guests.
- Graduates of this program have achieved a 100% pass rate on the Wisconsin State Licensing Exam for Cosmetology since 2009.
- Engage in Cosmetology Club to accelerate your learning and develop leadership skills.
- Participate in hair shows, community service and industry-sponsored events to begin developing your professional network for employment.
- Move through program classes in a cohort, allowing for strengthened learning and support.
For the courses you’ll take, semester sequence, pathways and course descriptions, view the program catalog page.
This program includes introductory and advanced technology core courses. You may also have the opportunity to obtain credit for prior learning.
How To Apply
- Apply online and pay the $30 application fee.
- Submit official high school transcript.
- Complete placement assessment (Reading and Writing).
- Attend a Program Advising Session.
Deadlines To Know*
Fall 2019 Start
- Submit application by June 17, 2019
- Complete checklist items by July 15, 2019
Spring 2019 Start
- Submit application by December 10, 2018
- Complete checklist items by January 10, 2019
* Application deadlines are subject to change based on program demand.
Financial Aid Eligibility
As a program student, you are eligible to receive:
- Financial aid loans
- Other forms of assistance
Learn more about financial aid.
The cost of your degree depends on a number of factors, including where you live, how your program is delivered, how long it takes to finish your program and the financial aid you receive.
Learn more about tuition and fees.
Program iPad and Cosmetology Kit are required for this program. These must be purchased through WCTC's Bookstore.
$20,000 – $32,000 annually, plus potential comission and tip opportunities
Salary range estimates based on wages for related occupations in Waukesha County as reported by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). Individual wages may vary based on experience, industry, location and specific job requirements.
Check the WCTC Graduate Success Report to view our graduates’ entry wages.
If you enjoy experimenting with hair and nail techniques, have a creative eye and strong people skills, a career in cosmetology may be for you. Those in this field need to have good manual dexterity and stamina as they stand for long stretches of time, and they perform specialty services that require attention to detail.
- Hair Stylist
- Spa Services Provider
- Makeup Artist
- Cosmetology Retail Sales