Baking and Pastry Production
26-credit Technical Diploma
Program Code 31-314-3
Professional bakers possess the skills and creativity necessary to prepare everything from artisan breads to decadent desserts. Focus on baking concepts, principles and techniques, and devote more than 500 hours to lab course time gaining hands-on practice. Learn to prepare specialty breads, desserts and pastries, and refine techniques in cake production and decorating.
How Long It Will Take
Depending on course load, full-time students could complete this program in one year.
You can begin this program in the fall semester.
How This Program Is Offered
This is offered on campus in a traditional classroom/lab setting.
What Makes This Program Unique
- This program is primarily offered during the evening, four days per week.
- Classes give students extensive hands-on experience (576 lab hours) on a wide array of equipment.
- Hospitality and Culinary students gain valuable experience at WCTC's training restaurant, The Classic Room and The Classic Bistro.
For the courses you’ll take, semester sequence, pathways and course descriptions, view the program catalog page.
You may have the opportunity to obtain credit for the college-level skills and knowledge you've already acquired. Learn more about credit for prior learning.
How To Apply
- Apply online and pay the $30 application fee.
- Submit official high school transcript.
- Complete placement assessment.
Deadlines To Know*
Fall 2020 Start
- Submit application by June 15, 2020
- Complete checklist items by August 3, 2020
Spring 2020 Start
- This program cannot be started in spring.
* Application deadlines are subject to change based on program demand.
Financial Aid Eligibility
As a program student, you are eligible to receive:
- Financial aid loans
- Other forms of assistance
Learn more about financial aid.
The cost of your degree depends on a number of factors, including where you live, how your program is delivered, how long it takes to finish your program and the financial aid you receive.
Learn more about tuition and fees.
$28,000 – $34,000 annually
Salary range estimates based on wages for related occupations in Waukesha County as reported by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). Individual wages may vary based on experience, industry, location and specific job requirements.
Check the WCTC Graduate Success Report to view our graduates’ entry wages.
If you are creative, patient and have a great deal of stamina, a career in baking and pastry production may be right for you. Bakers create new recipes and elaborate decorations for cakes and pastries, and the work they do requires a steady hand and many hours of standing. Additionally, much of their work is detail oriented, requiring a sharp focus and eye for detail.
- Pastry Chef
- Cake Decorator
- Shift Supervisor