Baking and Pastry Management
65-credit Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Code 10-314-2
Bakers prepare items such as breads, pastries, muffins and other items for general sale or specialty orders. Gain hands-on practice in state-of-the-art baking labs, while focusing on ingredients, techniques and production skills. Develop management skills and expand techniques of production, cost and staff control in the operation of a bakeshop.
How Long It Will Take
Depending on course load, full-time students could complete this program in two years.
You can begin this program in the fall semester.
How This Program Is Offered
This is offered on campus in a traditional classroom/lab setting.
What Makes This Program Unique
- Hospitality and Culinary students gain valuable experience at WCTC's training restaurant, The Classic Room and The Classic Bistro.
- Earn two degrees in three years by first completing Baking and Pastry Management in two years, then completing Hospitality Management in just one additional year. Learn more about this dual degree option.
- Take advantage of extensive service learning opportunities; practice your skills while serving the community.
- Work in advanced production and management labs.
- Learn to prepare and package food products for sale in on-campus retail store.
For the courses you’ll take, semester sequence, pathways and course descriptions, view the program catalog page.
You may have the opportunity to obtain credit for the college-level skills and knowledge you've already acquired. Learn more about credit for prior learning.
How To Apply
- Apply online and pay the $30 application fee.
- Submit official high school transcript.
- Complete placement assessment.
Deadlines To Know*
Fall 2019 Start
- Submit application by August 5, 2019
- Complete checklist items by August 12, 2019
Spring 2020 Start
- This program cannot be started in spring.
* Application deadlines are subject to change based on program demand.
Financial Aid Eligibility
As a program student, you are eligible to receive:
- Financial aid loans
- Other forms of assistance
Learn more about financial aid.
The cost of your degree depends on a number of factors, including where you live, how your program is delivered, how long it takes to finish your program and the financial aid you receive.
Learn more about tuition and fees.
$24,000 – $36,000 annually
Salary range estimates based on wages for related occupations in Waukesha County as reported by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). Individual wages may vary based on experience, industry, location and specific job requirements.
Check the WCTC Graduate Success Report to view our graduates’ entry wages.
If you have good time management, planning and organizational skills, a career in baking and pastry might be right for you. Bakers need to be creative and precise as proper measurements are critical to the preparation of baked goods. Additionally, they start their workday in the early morning hours to ensure bakery is ready for the day ahead.
- Pastry Chef
- Cake Decorator
- Bakery Manager/Supervisor