Multicultural Resource Center
WCTC is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. The Multicultural Resource Center (MRC) seeks to prepare all students to work actively toward equity by providing knowledge, dispositions, and skills for acceptance and inclusion among diverse groups. The MRC offers all students, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups at WCTC, a safe place to call their own.
Read the latest MRC newsletter!
MRC staff work with students in a variety of ways, including:
- Assistance with admissions, placement testing, financial aid and scholarship applications
- One-on-one case management
- Educational workshops
- Course completion
- Progress reports
- Liaison between schools, families and community to address barriers to academic acheivement
- Study skills, time management and access to tutoring
- Leadership development, including the Multicultural Student Mentoring Program
- Personal and social support
- Small group meeting space, study area and computer lab
- Building positive relationships between students, faculty and staff
Student Mentoring Program
The center houses the Multicultural Student Mentoring Program (MSMP), which serves underrepresented students. It supports students of color, LGBTQ, first-generation and undocumented students to ensure their success at WCTC.
The MSMP provides case management, academic support, and access to peer mentors and resources. This program encourages critical life skill development through monthly leadership workshops to promote self-advocacy, promotes community engagement, and encourages participation in leadership conferences and social events — all in an effort to help students feel supported during their time at WCTC.
Annual Cultural Programing
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January)
- Black History Month (February)
- Women's History Month (March)
- Cesar Chavez Day (March)
- Celebrate Diversity Month (April)
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
- LGBT Pride Month (June)
- Hispanic Heritage Month (September)
- LGBT History Month (October)
- Native American Heritage Month (November)
Multicultural Student Union
The MRC works closely with WCTC’s Multicultural Student Union (MSU) organization. MSU advocates for the empowerment of marginalized and traditionally underrepresented identities. MSU also works to increase the visibility of the difficulties facing these students at WCTC.
Si Ud. necesita asistencia en Español relacionada con educación, por favor llame a el Centro de Recursos Multiculturales.
Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais lus txog kev kawm ntawv, thov hu rau Multicultural Resource Center.