Health Continuing Education Courses
It's critical that healthcare professionals stay up to date and confident in their skills. Our continuing education courses will keep you on the cutting edge and help you provide the best care possible.
Health Continuing Education Courses
- Disease and Drugs: Diabetes
- Disease and Drugs: GI System
- Diseases and Drugs: Heart
- Diseases and Drugs: Joints
- Diseases and Drugs: Kidneys
- Diseases and Drugs: Lungs
- Pharm Review Nurse Refresher
- Phlebotomy for Healthcare Professions
Healthcare Professionals, Nurses, EMS, Protective Services*
Nurses and Other Healthcare Professionals**
- Central Lines and IV Therapy
- Chemical Dependency for Healthcare Professionals
- Hospice 101
- Lab Values - Basic
- Lab Values - Advanced
- Mental Health for Healthcare Professionals
- Ostomy Care Workshop
- Peripheral IV Insertion
- Self-care for Healthcare Professionals
- Wound Care Workshop
- Anticoagulant Medications
- Updates in Diabetic Meds
- Pharm Update: CV Disease
- Pharm Update: Pain Management
* Provides a WCTC certificate of participation
** Provides WNA CNE contact hours
Waukesha County Technical College is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Wisconsin Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
RN and LPN Refresher Program
The RN and LPN refresher program is intended for nurses who have been out of nursing practice for five years or longer and hold an active or limited nursing license in the state of Wisconsin. This program is offered beginning in mid-March to a maximum of 12 students. It includes two theory and skills courses along with a clinical course.
Theory and Skills Courses
- 510-405C Critical Thinking/Nursing Skills NC: Discuss ways to develop and apply critical thinking related to the nursing process,
physical assessment and skills in the Nursing Skills Lab setting. Content includes
enhanced physical assessment, multiple routes of medication administration, infusion
therapy, enteral and nasogastric tube management, maintenance of oxygenation and wound
management. Therapeutic communication techniques, care of the older adult, documentation
and the roles of the RN, LPN and UAP (unlicensed assistive personnel) will be reviewed.
- Demonstration of competency of selected nursing skills by achieving a “satisfactory” rating is required (skills testing).
- This course meets two days a week for three hours each class period for eight weeks (total of 48 hours). Extra time outside of class may be required for this course.
- 510-471Q Pharmacology Review Nurse Refresher: Designed for nurses refreshing their pharmacology knowledge, this course includes principles of safe medication practices along with drug-specific information related to different medication classes such as anti-hypertensives, anti-infectives, hypoglyemics and others.
- 510-405O RN Refresher: Clinical Practice or 510-405P LPN Refresher: Clinical Practice: This clinical experience will be in a long-term care, rehab or sub-acute facility
under the guidance and direct supervision of a nursing instructor.
- This course is 100 hours in the clinical setting for both RNs and LPNs (25 hours per week for four weeks).
- The clinical course begins after the completion of the critical thinking/skills courses. The clinical experience provides the returning RN/LPN the opportunity to put theory and skills into practice. Extra time during the clinical day may be required for this course.
- Current active/limited Wisconsin nursing license. (If license is inactive, contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at 608.266.0627). License must be current at time of application.
- Completion of BLS (Basic Life Support) Provider course.
- Completion of criminal background check.
- Completion of health requirements through a ProHealth Works clinic (physical exam; up-to-date with immunizations; a two-step TB skin test; completed 10-panel drug screen)
- Review and sign the Nursing Technical Standards. You will submit this form to your faculty on the first day of class.
- Completion of Statement of Confidentiality, Release of Information and signature on the RN/LPN Refresher syllabus forms.
- Completion of WCTC Theory and Practice courses (to be taken concurrently) and Clinical course listed above.