The Youth Apprenticeship (YA) program is a rigorous one- or two-year program for high school juniors and seniors that combines academic and technical classroom instruction with paid work experience, giving you a head start on your career.
As a youth apprentice, you’ll receive occupation-related instruction and on-the-job training as part of your regular high school schedule. You’ll be paired with a workplace mentor and exposed to all facets of an industry, allowing you to develop the skills you need to succeed after graduation.
After you successfully complete your apprenticeship, you’ll receive a state-issued skills certificate recognizing your career-related work experience. You may also continue on to complete a registered apprenticeship through a partnership between participating employers and WCTC. In the past, 80 percent of seniors who completed a YA were offered employment related to their training.
Past YA programs offered have included:
- Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
- Architecture and Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology and Communications
- Health Science
- Hospitality, Lodging and Tourism
- Information Technology
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
- Transportation, Distribution and Logistics
To participate in the YA program, you must be:
- Enrolled in a public or private secondary school or other approved program which is part of the Waukesha County School-to-Career Youth Apprenticeship partnership or other YA Consortium
- In your junior or senior year of high school (you may begin your apprenticeship as early as the summer before junior year)
- Likely to graduate at the end of your senior year
- Have participated in career exploration, guidance and/or education activities which allow you to make an informed choice
- Interested in hands-on, career-based learning
If interested, please contact your high school’s youth apprenticeship site coordinator or WCTC’s youth apprenticeship specialist, Nathan Zorn, at 262.691.5557.
- WCTC Youth Apprenticeship Flyer
- DWD Youth Apprenticeship Brochure
- Youth Apprenticeship Program Information
- Youth Apprenticeship Program Areas
- Youth Apprenticeship Pathway Brochures
- Youth Apprenticeship Skills Standards Checklists