High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)

This diploma requires more than the GED but may also open additional doors. Some colleges, universities, military branches and employers require an HSED or high school diploma instead of a GED.

HSED completion options include:

  • High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)
  • HSED based on high school credits
  • HSED based on post-secondary education
  • HSED based on foreign diploma
  • HSED based on competency


To be eligible to test, you must:

  • Have lived in Wisconsin for at least 10 days OR be a migrant worker or the child of a migrant worker
  • Be at least 18.5 years old OR your 9th grade class must have already graduated
  • Not be currently enrolled in high school

To get started, you’re required to attend a free, four-session orientation, along with a reading and math assessment. Call 262.695.6525 to register. You must attend the orientation on all dates and be at least 18 years old by the first class.


GED/HSED testing is only conducted at authorized test centers. The test is computer-based but not online. No official GED test is offered online.

Register and pay for tests online or call 877.392.6433. The cost is $33.75 per test. No walk-ins are allowed, and a current, government-issued ID is required.


HSED Records Request

To request a HSED transcript, contact the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.