COVID-19 Resources for Students
Last updated 3/25/2020, 12:45 p.m.
All Waukesha County Technical College (WCTC) campus facilities will close beginning at 5 p.m. on March 17, 2020. WCTC is tentatively planning to reopen on June 1, 2020. The reopening date is subject to change as the situation remains fluid. This webpage will continue to be updated with the most current information.
To facilitate learning and help students complete coursework during the COVID-19 pandemic, WCTC is transitioning as many courses as possible to an online format for the reminder of the spring 2020 semester. While campus facilities will be physically closed during this time, student services will remain available through electronic/virtual means.
WCTC's faculty are doing as much as possible to offer creative and flexible virtual/online and other approaches so that you can satisfy course competency and learning objectives, while adhering to state and federal restrictions on mass gatherings.
While WCTC is working to transition as much content as possible to an online delivery, there are some course components that will still require instruction in a hands-on lab setting. The College's current plans to accommodate our students during this time are as follows:
- Fully online courses will continue to run as scheduled, beginning the week of March 23, 2020. These online courses will be completed by their originally scheduled end dates.
- Courses that have any face-to-face time will resume in an online format beginning the week of April 6, 2020 and end by June 1, 2020. The end date for these courses may be extended to accommodate for this new timeframe.
- Hands-on lab portions of courses will be delayed until the College campus reopens. We are exploring creative strategies to ensure students are able to complete labs as soon as possible.
- Students participating in clinicals, practicums and internships should check with their worksite (or program faculty) to determine next steps.
- Group Dynamics classes will be off until at least June 1, 2020.
- Summer classes begin June 8, 2020. Registration opens on April 1, 2020.
Please monitor your WCTC email and Canvas for any communication from faculty and the College so you can be aware of any changes made to any course you are taking. Make sure you are signed up for WCTC Alerts to be notified about important WCTC announcements. WCTC Alerts are found under My Applications on the MyWCTC portal.
WCTC recognizes that not all students have easy access to technology (computers, internet, etc.). College staff are working hard to find solutions for those without access to technology. These include:
- Making laptop computers and iPads available to students who do not have access to one.
- Providing WiFi options for students who do not have access to WiFi. In the meantime, check out these low-cost options.
Stay tuned for updates!
WCTC is committed to providing all students with ongoing support even if we cannot sit across the table from you. We have activated a new software called Zoom that allows for virtual "face-to-face" meetings with advisors, counselors, reference librarians, career and disability specialists, academic support specialists and more.
As we work on changing how these services are provided, please be aware that our resources are limited and responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and flexibility!
Student Support Contact Information
Records (Progress toward graduation)
All currently enrolled program students now have a Zoom account. You should have received an email invitation from email@example.com titled "Zoom Account Invitation." Use the link inside this email to activate your account within 30 days. If you are not enrolled in a program and did not receive an invitation, you will still be able to be invited to a Zoom meeting by WCTC faculty and staff. Questions? Contact the WCTC Service Desk at 262.691.5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To expedite payment of financial aid funds or fees from dropped courses, sign up now for direct deposit to your bank account. Visit your Student Account Center on MyWCTC, then choose "My Profile," then "Electronic Refunds." WCTC will still process these payments according to our regular schedule. Questions? Contact email@example.com. If you choose not to sign up for direct deposit, we will continue issuing paper checks via USPS when necessary.
All internal and external events, including the April 13, 2020 College holiday and the May 16, 2020 graduation ceremony, are canceled and cannot be held on or off campus through May 31, 2020. We are working on a plan to celebrate students who are graduating this spring - stay tuned!
Waukesha County Technical College encourages staff and students to reconsider non-essential personal and business travel. COVID-19 is spreading rapidly. All students are strongly encouraged to take steps to protect themselves from illness. If you do choose to travel domestically or internationally, regardless of advisory level, a higher risk of infection is possible as well as a higher likelihood of self-isolation when you return.
To promote campus health, please consider the following:
- Wash your hands often, using soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Cover your cough or sneeze using a tissue or the crook of your arm.
- Avoid touching your nose, eyes or mouth.
Notices will be posted in restrooms across the Pewaukee and Waukesha campuses regarding personal care and hygiene. Please read signage and follow recommendations to keep yourself and others healthy.
- CDC Handwashing Guide
- COVID-19 Prevention and Treatment – CDC
- COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE
- COVID-19 Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.