Add, Drop or Withdraw from Classes
At WCTC, it is the student's responsibility to drop or withdraw from a course for personal or academic reasons. A grade will be issued to students who fail to drop or withdraw from a class. Consult the timelines below, then use the drop/withdrawal form to drop or withdraw from a class, if applicable.
There are several types of drops and withdrawals:
- Student Drop: A student may drop a course during the refund period. A drop does not appear on an academic transcript.
- Instructor Drop: An instructor will drop a student for non-attendance at the first class or within the first weeks of class. A drop does not appear on an academic transcript.
- Student Withdrawal: After the refund period, a student may withdraw from a course up to 80 percent of
the course duration. A withdrawal (W) will appear on the academic transcript. Instructors
will not initiate a student withdrawal.
- The "W" grade is not included in a CPA and is not counted in credits earned toward graduation.
- Students who withdraw after the refund period are fully responsible for tuition and fees.
- Instructor Withdrawal: An instructor may withdraw a student, up to 80 percent of course duration, for violation of course policy. An instructor will assign a "W" on the roster. After 80 percent of course duration, a letter grade other than "W" is assigned.
- Administrative Withdrawal: WCTC reserves the right to withdraw a student from a course for policy violations or extenuating circumstances.
Timelines to Add, Drop or Withdraw from a Class
The 80 percent of course duration timeline is outlined below, based on the length of the class:
- 16-week class: three weeks before the last class
- 8-week class: two weeks before the last class
- 6-week class: one week before the last class
To add a class:
|Class Start||Mode of Registration||Approval Required|
|One day prior to class start date||Web, in-person or over the phone||None|
|Up to start time of class||In person or over the phone||None|
|After start time of class||In person||Associate Dean|
To drop a class:
|Class Start||Mode of Dropping|
|Prior to start of semester||Web, in person or over the phone|
|Prior to start date of class||In person or over the phone|
|Start date of class||In person, over the phone or online drop form|
|Prior to 80 percent completion of the course||In person, over the phone or online drop form|
|After 80 percent completion of the course||Student will receive a letter grade.|
WCTC reserves the right to deny access to specific classes including Basic Skills courses.