Physical Therapist Assistant
70-credit Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Code 10-524-1
Physical therapist assistants help physical therapists provide treatment to patients that improves mobility, relieves pain and prevents/lessens physical disabilities. In this program, develop skills to assist a physical therapist with treatment programs according to care plans, train patients in exercises and daily living activities, use specialized equipment and record patient responses.
This is a Partnership Program
Waukesha County Technical College has a partnership agreement with Blackhawk Technical College (BTC) to offer the Physical Therapist Assistant program. Through the partnership agreement, the “host” college (BTC) offers the program, but saves slots for students from WCTC and other cooperating colleges.
WCTC students who enroll in a partnership program may enroll in general education courses at WCTC. Most major coursework is taken at the host college. Clinical work will be performed either in the WCTC district or host college district, depending on the program of study. Students enrolled in this partnership program will graduate from Blackhawk Technical College, not WCTC.
How Long It Will Take
Depending on course load, full-time students could complete this program in two years.
You can begin this program in the fall or spring semester.
How This Program Is Offered
WCTC’s courses are offered on campus in a traditional classroom/lab setting.
What Makes This Program Unique
- This is a partnership program with Blackhawk Technical College (BTC). A combination of coursework is completed at both campuses.
- Students have the opportunity to integrate components of operational and fiscal practices of physical therapy sciences in a variety of settings.
For the courses you’ll take, semester sequence, pathways and course descriptions, view the program catalog page.
You may have the opportunity to obtain credit for the college-level skills and knowledge you've already acquired. Learn more about credit for prior learning.
How To Apply
This program is only available to WCTC district residents.
- Submit a paper application by fax to 262.691.5123, email or in person at the Admissions Office.
- Submit official high school transcript.
- Complete placement assessment.
- Schedule and attend a Program Planning Session.
Deadlines To Know*
Fall 2020 Start
- This program is not currently accepting applications.
Spring 2020 Start
- Submit application by November 18, 2019
- Complete checklist items by December 16, 2019
* Application deadlines are subject to change based on program demand.
Financial Aid Eligibility
As a program student, you are eligible to receive:
- Financial aid loans
- Other forms of assistance
For those applying for financial aid, apply online and use Blackhawk Technical College code 005390.
The cost of your degree depends on a number of factors, including where you live, how your program is delivered, how long it takes to finish your program and the financial aid you receive.
Learn more about tuition and fees.
$46,000 – $58,000 annually
Salary range estimates based on wages for related occupations in Waukesha County as reported by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). Individual wages may vary based on experience, industry, location and specific job requirements.
Check the WCTC Graduate Success Report to view our graduates’ entry wages.
If you enjoy caring for others, are compassionate and a good communicator, a career as a physical therapy assistant (PTA) might for you. PTAs are organized and focused, as they are responsible for tracking patients’ progress, and they should be physically strong, since they have to set up and move equipment used for therapy.
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Technician