Weapons on Campus
WCTC strictly prohibits the use, concealment, creation, manufacture or possession of weapons, parts of weapons, facsimile firearms and/or potentially dangerous devices — whether functional or not — in College buildings and facilities (owned or leased) or at College-sponsored activities held on public or private property off campus. This includes:
- Any type of firearm, whether or not a permit is obtained
- Knife (excluding eating utensils)
- Jackknife with a blade longer than 3 inches
- Knives which open by gravity, thrust or movement
- Metal knuckles
- Compressed gas-operated weapons
- Electric weapons as defined in state statutes
- Archery equipment
- Martial arts weapons
- Any other device which, based on the manner it is used or is intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce bodily harm.
Exclusions from this policy include:
- Sworn law enforcement personnel: A certified sworn police officer may use or possess a weapon on campus or at College-sponsored functions held on public or private property, provided it is in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations and employment requirements.
- Students and employees in instructional programs: Individuals who are required to carry a weapon as part of their employment or education program (such as Criminal Justice Studies students and instructors) may possess, transport or use weapons as long as it is in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, employment and educational requirements. The WCTC Criminal Justice Studies Department has policies that govern the handling such weapons or potentially dangerous devices for training purposes.
If you violate this policy, you will be asked to comply and may also be:
- Referred to Campus Police and/or law enforcement authorities
- Removed from the campus, subject to College disciplinary procedures, up to and including termination of employment or expulsion from the College, as well as civil and/or criminal penalties
Wisconsin’s revised or amended statutes may supersede this policy and the current
laws shall be adhered to at that time.