Grading Policy | Waukesha County Technical College

Grading Policy

Your grades are based upon your achievement of course objectives. All credits are based on semester hours. The following grades are used to calculate your semester and cumulative grade point average. 

(It’s your responsibility to drop or withdraw from a course for personal or academic reasons. If you don’t withdraw from a course, a grade will be issued.)

Grade % Value Point Value
A 95-100 4.00
A- 93-94 3.67
B+ 91-92 3.33
B 87-90 3.00
B- 85-86 2.67
C+ 83-84 2.33
C 79-82 2.00
C- 77-78 1.67
D+ 75-76 1.33
D 72-74 1.00
D- 70-71 0.67
F 69/Below 0.00
WF Withdrawn Failing Historic Grade

The following are included in hours attempted, but not earned:

Administrative Withdrawal (AW)

WCTC reserves the right to withdraw you from a course for policy violations or extenuating circumstances. If expelled, you will receive the “AW” grade for all credit courses or a “NG” grade for all non-credit courses. “AW” and “NG” grades will appear on your transcript. Refunds will be issued at the College's discretion.

Withdrawal (W)

After the refund period, you may withdraw from a course up to 80 percent of the course duration. A withdrawal (W) will appear on your academic transcript. The “W” grade is not included in your GPA and is not counted in credits earned toward graduation. If you withdraw after the refund period, you are fully responsible for tuition and fees. Instructors will not initiate a student-requested withdrawal. An instructor may withdraw you, up to 80 percent of course duration, for violation of course policy. An instructor will assign a “W.” After 80 percent of course duration, a letter grade other than a “W” will be assigned.

Incomplete (I)

This may be assigned if you fulfill a majority of course requirements, but are unable to complete the course due to circumstances beyond your control. Assuming you were passing the course, you may be allowed to complete the course the following semester (except summer). Faculty may approve or disapprove the request, and it is your responsibility to make arrangements to fulfill all course requirements. You must be able to complete the course with minimal intervention from the instructor.

Failure to make such arrangements and complete the requirements will result in a failing (F) grade. If you have a recorded incomplete, you will not be eligible for honors recognition until you submit complete grade records. This grade may affect your ability to receive financial aid and/or the academic progress requirements of a financial aid award.

Not included in hours earned or attempted:

Course Audit (AU)

Only credit courses may be audited; you will receive AU as a final grade. As an audit student, you may attend class but are not required to take examinations and do not receive credit for the class. You are still responsible for tuition and fees. An audited course appears on your record with the grade AU, and it does not count toward a degree or diploma.

To audit a course, you must make an agreement with the instructor. You may elect to change from credit to audit if you adhere to the following guidelines:

  • You may audit a course, with the consent of the instructor, during the first 50 percent of the semester.
  • After 50 percent of course duration, you may audit if you are passing the course.
  • If you wish to withdraw from a course, you must contact Registration.
  • You must adhere to the WCTC drop policy and 80 percent course completion rules.
  • You must adhere to all rules and regulations regarding attendance.
  • You may not, at a later date, change to credit status.
  • Auditing a course may affect your financial aid status.

Transcripted Credit Audit (TA)

If you are a high school student enrolled in Transcripted Credit classes at your high school, you may receive an audit grade (TA).

Mid-Term Status

Students in 16-week credit classes will receive mid-term status reports during week six:

  • Pass – You have a “C” or higher at the six-week point
  • NoPass – You have below a “C” at the six-week point

See your instructor with questions regarding the calculation and criteria for mid-term status reports. Mid-term grades do not appear on a transcript and are not included in hours attempted or earned.

Non-credit/Continuing Education Classes

  • Continuing Education classes report either Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U). 
  • Non-credit courses report only a No Grade (NG).

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Your GPA at the end of any semester is the total number of grade points divided by the total number of credits earned. If you repeat a course, the highest grade achieved and grade points, if any, will be recorded, and the grade and any grade points will be counted in determining your eligibility for graduation. If you repeat a course, you may experience an adjustment in GPA in a prior term, based on include/exclude rules.

Advanced Standing Credit

  • AP – College Board Advanced Placement Examination
  • CL – College Level Examination (CLEP)
  • DT – DSST (formerly DANTES)
  • OT – Other Credit Earned in High School
  • PD – Prior Degree
  • PL – Prior Learning
  • PR – Credit by Exam (Proficiency)
  • TR – Transfer Course
  • WX – Work Experience