Human Patient Simulation (HPS) Lab
The Human Patient Simulation (HPS) Lab replicates the patient care environment offering students scenario-based clinical practice in a high-tech setting. It gives instructors opportunities to facilitate learning and objectively measure student performance competencies.
Through simulated learning, students:
- Care for patient situations/conditions with adult, pediatric, infant and child birthing simulators.
- Assess virtual patients, make clinical judgments and provide interventions.
- Prioritize, gain evidence-based practice, and perform and integrate skills.
- Increase confidence and decision-making skills.
- Learn and safely apply cognitive, psychomotor and affective skills.
- Develop and improve critical-thinking skills.
Collaborative Learning for Multiple Disciplines
Cross-departmental, collaborative training opportunities share resources and enhance student learning. They also:
- Improve teamwork and leadership skills.
- Enhance communication between members of the health care team through realistic experiences.
- Provide insight into the roles and responsibilities of health care partners.
Specialty Childbirth Simulator
- Teach the complexities associated with labor and delivery.
- Help students practice the skills required for assisting in a successful childbirth.
Classroom and Nursing Skills Lab Component
- Bring case studies to life, reinforcing essential and difficult concepts.
- Provide hands-on instruction, practice and evaluation.
- Determine and directs patient-centered outcomes.